June 27, 2012 by Angelo A. Ferrara Selling a Business 0 comments
Thinking About Selling?
Here are some tasks business owners should consider completing before going to market to help their businesses sell.
- Remove any items not included in the sale. That family heirloom portrait behind the counter of Grandfather William, founder of the business, should be removed.
- Remove or repair any non-functioning equipment.
- Prepare an operations manual to show a new owner all the functions of the business, how things are done, the major customers and suppliers, samples of advertising, and any other information that would help a new owner manage and operate the business.
- Take care of any outstanding bills and resolve any legal, tax, or governmental issues.
- Bring your financial statements up to date, and have your accounting professional prepare them for a buyer’s inspection.
- Clean up the business inside and out. Fill the shelves, clean up the inventory, and paint the interior if necessary.